Brimming with vegetable and barley goodness, this barley soup is great for you but also leaves you feeling totally satisfied. It is very substantial, almost more of a stew than a soup.
Winter vegetable and barley soup
- 40 g 1½oz butter
- 1 leek sliced
- 2 sticks celery finely sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium parsnip peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium potato peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks thyme
- 100 g (3½oz) pearl barley
- 1.2 litre (2pt) vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the butter in a pan and add all of the veg. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the veg has just started to soften.
- Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, pearl barley and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and the pearl barley is soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalk and stir in the chopped parsley. season to taste and serve hot.