Ayurvedic buttermilk (takra) is a liquid preparation made by churning yoghurt with water. It is a digestive stimulant and helps with proper elimination. It is very beneficial in cases of IBS, Crohn’s disease, haemorrhoids and obesity.
- 1 part organic natural, live yoghurt (e.g. 25ml)
- 4 parts room temperature water (e.g. 100ml)
- Rock salt
- Spices to taste (ginger, cumin, coriander, cardamom, hing)
- Put the yoghurt and water in a jar, screw lid on tightly and shake well till it is completely mixed and there are bubbles on the top. Alternatively, mix in a blender. Shake or mix for as long as possible as the more mixed, the better the buttermilk is for you.
- Add rocksalt and spices as per your taste.
- Drink at room temperature.
- Drink your buttermilk after your meals (especially lunch). This ensures the meal is digested well and also reduces any desire for any further food.
- Do not drink in the evening (after sun-set).