This mackerel pasta recipe is criminally quick and very popular with all the family. Ideally use fresh vegetables for this, but you can use frozen ones if you have an empty fridge!
Smoked mackerel pasta with peas and spinach
- 300 g spelt or gluten-free pasta
- 125 g garden peas shelled
- 125 g broad beans shelled
- 1 pack (~250g) smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and flaked
- 100 g fresh leaf spinach
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Heat a large pan of boiling water, add pasta and simmer for 7 minutes. Stir in the peas and broad beans and cook for a further 3–4 minutes, until the pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Drain well and stir in the mackerel and the spinach, allowing it to wilt.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice and zest.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.