I’ve just made this and it was a hit with the children. I offered them the choice of having it as it comes, or blended. They went with the blended option (not one for the adults!) and they loved it, ate large portions of vegetables without even blinking.
This butternut squash and spinach recipe is warming, easy to digest and yet gentle on pitta due to the coconut. It is very easy to make and is satisfyingly tasty. A great vegetarian meal.
If serving with naan, a great spelt naan bread recipe can be found here.
Butternut squash and spinach curry
- 1 butternut squash chopped into chunks
- 250 g fresh spinach more or less doesn't matter
- 10-15 cm leek chopped
- 3 cm fresh ginger grated = 1tbsp
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cardamom pods crushed slightly
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1/4 tin coconut milk or fresh equivalent even better
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil and gently cook the leeks until they are soft.
- Add ginger and spices, and cook for a minute.
- Add butternut squash and stock. Simmer gently until squash is tender.
- Add coconut milk, mix in.
- Add spinach and gently stir in, so that spinach wilts.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Serve with easy-cook brown rice, spelt naan or spelt chapatti.
Becky · May 4, 2017 at 13:50
This was delicious! I pureed a small portion for my toddler which he ate with white rice and lapped it up. Very easy and fairly quick to make. Will be doing it again soon!