This simple dairy-free green-rich spinach pesto is great to have at hand for quick meals. Tastes great with spelt pasta for a speedy, healthy meal.
- 400 g washed spinach leaves
- 2 garlic cloves halved
- 5 tbsp (70g) pine nuts or substitute some with almonds - lightly dry-fried to release flavour.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil crumbled (or fresh basil if you have it, as much as you like!)
- 60 ml (60g, 3 1/3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Place a few spinach leaves, garlic, pine nuts, basil and a little oil in blender or food processor container. Cover and puree until leaves begin to look crushed.
- Continue adding spinach leaves a few at a time with small amounts of oil to blender, using a rubber spatula to help to combine pureed mixture.
- Add salt and process until spinach pesto mixture is smooth.
- If not using straightaway, put into a clean glass jar and pour olive oil on top to preserve. Keeps for a week or so in the fridge.