These Ayurvedic date flapjacks are absolutely delicious and are great for strengthening and nourishing. They are vata and pitta pacifying but only eat in small amounts if you are watching kapha/weight or have ama.
- 200 g chopped stoned dates
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 180 g ghee or butter
- 180 g jaggery
- 300 g porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 160C (325F).
- Line a square tin with baking parchment (sides of parchment should be twice the height of baking tray as the flapjacks will rise).
- Place the dates in a pan and cover with water. Simmer for 5 minutes, then drain and puree in a blender.
- Melt the ghee/butter, jaggery and syrup together in a large pan, stirring until the mixture forms a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the dates, mix well and then stir in the oats and bicarbonate.
- Press this mixture into the base of the tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 30 minutes and then mark into squares.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin before serving.