Beetroot is in season July through to January so it’s a great vegetable to eat throughout the winter. This sweet-sour Ayurvedic beetroot curry is a delicious way to eat it.
If serving with naan, a great spelt naan bread recipe can be found here.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 1/2 tbs mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cup grated or finely chopped beetroots about 4 beetroots
- ½ cup grated coconut optional, or soaked dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt as required
- 2 cup beaten yogurt even better, replace with 200-250ml coconut milk/cream & few tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds, curry leaves and grated ginger.
- Add onions, and saute till they become translucent.
- Now add grated beetroot, (coconut), cumin powder, turmeric and salt. Add water (~ ½ height of beetroot) and cook covered till the beets are fully cooked.
- Remove from flame and keep aside to cool.
- To this add yogurt (or coconut milk equivalent) and mix well, adjust salt.
- Serve with easy-cook brown rice, spelt naan or spelt chapatti.